COVID-19 Reopening Safety Plan
Name of Business: Caldwell-Lake George Library
Address: 336 Canada St., Lake George, NY 12845
Contact Information: Barbara Durkish, Library Director; 518-668-2528
Owner/Manager of Business: Board of Trustees, Caldwell-Lake George Library
To ensure employees comply with physical distancing requirements, the library will do the following:
- Ensure 6 ft. distance between personnel, unless safety or core function of the work activity requires a shorter distance. Any time personnel are less than 6 ft. apart from one another, personnel must wear acceptable face coverings.
- Tightly confined spaces will be occupied by only one individual at a time, unless all occupants are wearing face coverings. If occupied by more than one person, will keep occupancy under 50% of maximum capacity.
- Post social distancing markers using tape or signs that denote 6ft. of spacing in commonly used and other applicable areas on the site.
- Limit in-person gatherings as much as possible and use tele-or video-conferencing whenever possible. Essential in-person gatherings should be held in open, well-ventilated spaces with appropriate social distancing among participants.
- Establish designated areas for pick-ups and deliveries, limiting contact to the extent possible.
When situations don’t allow for 6ft of distance between individuals:
- Due to limited space of the library, it maybe a challenge to adhere to a 6ft distance between staff and visitors when visitors are checking out items by approaching circulation desk. Library will have markers on floor denoting 6 ft. guidelines, signage in and around library reminding visitors to maintain the required social distancing protocols, an acrylic sneeze guard will be installed on circulation desk to protect staff, mandatory face-covering requirements will be posted and enforced, Staff will monitor distancing and when appropriate gently remind visitors of social distancing protocol.
- Upon entering the library, safety requirements will be posted for all to follow.
To ensure employees comply with protective equipment requirements, the library will do the following:
- 5 Masks on hand for each staff member. Visitors must supply their own mask. Library will have 10-20 extra if needed.
- Face coverings must be cleaned or replaced after use or when damaged or soiled, may not be shared, and should be properly stored or discarded.
- Daily checklist signed by staff that they have washed their face coverings.
- Limit the sharing of objects and discourage touching of shared surfaces; or, when in contact with shared objects or frequently touched areas, wear gloves or sanitize or wash hands before and after contact.
Common objects that are likely to be shared between employees:
What measures will you implement to ensure the safety of your employees when using these objects?
- Tape, Scissors, Staplers, Scanner, keyboards, and any other frequently shared items-Employees will be instructed to wipe/spray down items after use before next person uses it.
B.Hygiene and Cleaning.
To ensure employees comply with hygiene and cleaning requirements, the library will do the following:
- Adhere to hygiene and sanitation requirements from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Department of Health (DOH) and maintain cleaning logs on-site that document date, time and scope of cleaning
- Log will be kept on Director’s Desk; staff will rotate cleaning.
- Provide and maintain hand hygiene stations for personnel, including handwashing with soap, water and paper towels or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing 70% or more alcohol for areas where handwashing is not feasible. Hand hygiene stations will be at the sink area behind desk and in the restroom. A bottle of hand sanitizer will be placed on the counter too.
- Conduct regular cleaning and disinfection at least after every shift, daily or more frequently as needed, and frequent cleaning and disinfection of shared objects and surfaces, as well as high transit areas, such as restrooms, and common areas.
- Staff will be instructed to clean/disinfect common surface areas, i.e. doorknobs, computer areas, circulation desk and restroom and maintain cleaning log.
To ensure the business and its employees comply with communication requirements, the library will do the following:
- Post signage throughout the site to remind personnel and visitors to adhere to proper hygiene, social distancing rules, appropriate use of PPE and cleaning and disinfecting protocols. Establish a communication plan for employees, visitors and customers with a consistent means to provide updated information.
- Maintain a continuous log of every person, including workers and visitors who have close contact with other individuals at the work site or area; excluding deliveries that are performed with appropriate PPE or through contactless means; excluding customers, who may be encouraged to provide contact information to be logged but are not mandated to do so.
- Which employee(s) will be in charge of maintaining a log of each person that enters the site(excluding customers and deliveries that are performed with appropriate PPE or through contactless means) and where will the log be kept? Library Assistants, Pam Fazio and/or Sue Hunter, depending on the shift. Log will be kept on Circulation Desk.
- If a worker tests positive for COVID-19, employer must immediately notify state and local health departments and cooperate with contact tracing efforts, including notification of potential contacts, such as workers or visitors who had close contact with the individual, while maintaining confidentiality required by state and federal law and regulations.
- If a worker tests positive for COVID-19, which employee(s) will be responsible for notifying state and local health departments?Library Director, Barb Durkish
- In the event the Director becomes incapacitated and cannot perform her duties, remaining staff will report to Personnel Committee.
To ensure the business and its employees comply with protective equipment requirements, the library will do the following:
- Implement mandatory health screening assessment (e.g. questionnaire, temperature check) before employees begin work each day and for essential visitors, asking about (1) COVID-19 symptoms in past 14 days, (2) positive COVID-19 test in past 14 days, and/or (3) close contact with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 case in past 14 days.
- Assessment responses must be reviewed every day and such review must be documented.
- Daily questionnaire will be asked and filled out by director. Staff will take their own temperatures at home and let director know of results, which will be recorded for the day.
- Screening will be done via questionnaire. Before work begins for the day, Director will ask staff member a series of questions. Answers will be recorded daily. Mask will be worn by both parties. Library has required PPE on hand.
B.Contact tracing and disinfection of contaminated areas.
To ensure the business and its employees comply with contact tracing and disinfection requirements, the library will do the following:
- Lysol, Clorox or CDC approved disinfectant will be used to clean and disinfect surfaces. As per the CDC website, if disinfectants on this list are in short supply, alternative disinfectants can be used (for example, 1/3 cup of bleach added to 1 gallon of water, or 70% alcohol solutions).
- Board is supplying cleaning products. (These will be on hand June 8, 2020 via Mona Seeger) Library willinform Board when supply needs to be replenished.
- In the case of an employee testing positive for COVID-19, how will you trace close contacts in the workplace? How will you inform close contacts that they may have been exposed to COVID-19?Director will contact Public Health. Announcement will be circulated via Social media, website and email list.
- In the event any staff member test positive for COVID-19, the library will close for at least 48 hours for cleaning and disinfecting.